ForumMatrix In cooperation with The Admin Zone

#1 2006-07-13 05:28:33

Ross

Newbie 2 Forums needs advice

Hi, i'm brand new to using forums, i know HTML no problem, limited JavaScript but i tend to learn that as i need to without any problems, and no PHP or MySQL knowledge.  I'd like a forum on my site and am just wondering if there is any semi-automated forum software out their, until i get the hang of whats going on and can move onto doing it all myself.  I was thinking software installed on my computer that connects to my webhost and configures things, or even if it was just something basic that would set things up for me to begin with?
I havent really seen anything quite like this before, so i dont even know if its out there!
Thanks,
Ross smile

#2 2006-07-21 23:12:05

jamesgreenwood
Website

Re: Newbie 2 Forums needs advice

Well, most forum software is a simple matter of uploading the files to a directory and browsing to it in your web browser. The most complicated bit is usually database configuration. For example, you usually have to create a new MySQL database and a user for this database. These details are then entered on the installation page.

If you do want something more automated, a system called Fantastico is present on CPanel (a widely used control panel system by web hosts) that allows you to literally do a click-click install; it creates the database and installs the forum for you.

To be honest, once you've gone through this process once, it's relatively simple from there on. If you want to broaden your skills a little bit, maybe you could try running a local server for testing different forum systems. A nice piece of software that can ironically automate this is CDSITE.

Please test Monkey Boards

#3 2011-03-20 16:59:56

Vinny

jhonathonaston45,

Depending on the software, it can be either or.  But typically speaking(when it comes to the larger, more popular software, i.e. phpBB, SMF and vBulletin) all information is stored in a MySQL database, and not system files.

#4 2011-04-03 21:48:38

Vinny

C0ldf1re wrote:

I read that remark about most popular software... then saw this forum runs on PunBB. What's that, and why?

PunBB is a light-weight forum software.  It was probably chosen to be used here because its overall simplicity fit the purpose of the forum fairly well.
It gets the job done perfectly, if you ask me.
(PunBB can be found at http://punbb.informer.com/). 
I typically don't use it, simply because it lacks too many features(such as Private Messaging) to be used with my forums.

Last edited by Vinny (2011-04-03 21:50:03)

You are not logged in.

Board footer