ForumMatrix In cooperation with The Admin Zone
  • Forum
  •  » Features
  •  » Problems with search: accented letters and capitalization

#1 2009-04-03 21:48:06

gt13013

Problems with search: accented letters and capitalization

1) I suggest that the capability of the search engine to find words without taking into account accentuation and capitalization should get a special attention (and a dedicated row) in the ForumMatrix.

2) Comments in order to clarify the problem:
I have used several forums (PunBB, PhpBB, SMF), and none of them is able to find words with accented letters in an efficient way. This feature is mandatory for every language using accented characters.

Let me give an example: imagine that you are searching for the word "fenêtrées".
There are 4 "e", and even if you suppose that the only possible accented ones are the second and the third, and that reasonably the person who wrote it could only have used (e é è ê), you have 4x4=16 searches to do!
And if you have a search with several accented words, it is much more problematic!

Consequently, it is necessary that the search engine considers letters e é è ê ë E É È Ê Ë as equivalent.

The necessity of this feature stands in the fact that accented letters are almost written randomly. It is due:
- to the fact that accented characters are more difficult to type on the keyboard
- to the fact that uppercase letters are generally not accented
- to the fact that everybody understands the text even if it is not accented
- to the fact that very often people do not know the correct writing and the kind of accentuation
- taking "e" for example, in French, you can find 10 characters: e é è ê ë E É È Ê Ë
- same problem for "a", "i", "o", "u", c ç C Ç

It means that it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to find accentuated words if the search engine makes a difference between all these characters.

3) By the way, I am interested in any forum that solves this problem.

Thanks,
Gérard

#2 2009-04-04 20:22:01

gt13013

Re: Problems with search: accented letters and capitalization

I made some experiments since yesterday.

The version of SMF I used unsuccessfully was version 1.1.4, installed on my own hoster.

I just tried SMF 1.1.8 online on http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts/sh … cat=Forums and the searches work perfectly.

I have defined a quick test procedure, and the results are here:
http://www.editgrid.com/user/gt13013/searches_accents

Gérard

Last edited by gt13013 (2009-04-04 20:22:34)

#3 2011-07-13 16:03:24

gt13013

Re: Problems with search: accented letters and capitalization

Did you read the editgrid link in my previous post? (For some strange reason, the file can sometimes take some time to appear when you click the link).

My own forum runs with SMF 1.1.13, and it works perfectly with French accented letters, and some other letters like "ç".

Last edited by gt13013 (2011-07-13 16:06:08)

• Forum
  •  » Features
  •  » Problems with search: accented letters and capitalization

You are not logged in.

Board footer